This report gives an overview of the direct carrier billing landscape in Western Europe: Germany, France, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Austria, Switzerland & Ireland.
For digital content payments in the region, direct carrier billing has a market share of approximately 14%. This makes it the 3rd most popular payment method for digital content purchases after credit cards and mobile wallets.
Despite high bank account and credit card ownership in the region, consumers prefer to pay through carrier billing thanks to its simplicity (payments are completed in a few clicks, leading to the most user-friendly checkout UX) and security (no personal data needs to be shared during the checkout process).
For each country, you will find the following data in the report:
- Demographics: average population, median age, income
- Telecommunications: phone ownership, data speeds, GSMA’s mobile connectivity rankings, telco profiles
- Payment infrastructure data: bank account access, credit and debit card ownership
- Carrier billing data: median revenue per user, spend distribution by transaction values, user distribution by monthly spend, popularity of carrier billing as a payment method
The data is aggregated across more than 500 merchants using the Boku and Fortumo platforms, giving a broad overview into consumer behavior with carrier billing:
- How much are consumers spending using carrier billing?
- What pricing do other digital content merchants use with carrier billing?
- How does the distribution of transactions look like?
As a result, this report should be useful to any digital content merchant in assessing how to adjust user acquisition and pricing strategies for Western Europe.
Download the report immediately by filling out the form below.